Friday, May 13, 2011

Phenylalaine Breakdown

I am a swimmer. I am on my school's swim team and I love the water. It's a great way for me to get exercise too. Everyone needs to exercise! It's interesting though because when PKU'ers exercise they can actually break down the Protein (Phenylalanine) faster. That's because your working hard and using energy. The process has to go faster to keep up with the demand. If you exercise constantly then you can actually keep it going at the faster rate. That allows the PKU'er to consume more PHE. So with my swimming, I exercise a lot. In the mornings we have a land workout and after school we swim. I found myself hungry all the time. (Which is normal in every swimmer.) I got boosted from 18 equivalents to 20, and my formula amount rocketed. I needed more vitamins and nutrients. I also needed more PHE to keep up with the process.

Now I have Classic PKU (the most severe kind). To me have that PHE increase opened my eyes to the world of Physical Fitness. Every PKU would like to be able to have a little more PHE. With regular exercise it's possible. There are so many types of exercising out there. You could: Run, swim, dance, play soccer, basketball, football, tennis, do yoga, gymnastics, lift weights, etc. It goes on and on! There is something out there for everyone, all you have to do is find it? How do you find it? You try everything until you find what you want.

I found swimming. Arguably the best sport for your body. It helps my break down system go faster and lowers my PHE level so I can eat more. Any sport can do the same. Besides exercise is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment