Sunday, December 9, 2012

A PKU Story

Once upon a time...

I was born.  :)  And when I was born they gave me a heel prick to test for various medical conditions.  It came up negative.  I was healthy enough and they let me go.  But something was wrong.  I wasn't eating the way I should, so they re-stuck me and checked again.  I had Phenylketonuria.

At first my parents were worried.  They were first time parents and on top of learning to be parents they had to learn to be PKU Parents.  It was difficult, and expensive.  But they learned.  And they did an excellent job. :) 

As a PKU child I became an expert at measuring things, looking things up in the big green book, and recognizing "good foods" and "bad foods".  I ate lots of fruits, and lots of vegetables.  I also had my medical formula and medical foods.  They were pretty expensive but, we managed.

Time passed and I grew.  I got involved in all sorts of things at different times in my life.  In my childhood I was in plays, I played soccer, and took ballet for a while.  In high school I swam, sang in choir, and took AP classes.  I found many interests and I grew up happily.

Now I'm at a University studying to be a Deaf Teacher.  I'm doing well in my classes.  I have friends, and I'm happy.

PKU affects my life.  It affects many aspects of my life.  I still drink my formula, and weigh things, and look things up in that old green book.  I have to say no when someone offers me a Reeses or something like that. 

But it's who I am.  And I like who I am.  In last week's clip the man talked about PKU being a part of him.  That's what I've been trying to say all along.  :)  PKU isn't a horrible awful tragedy and you should pity those diagnosed.  It's a style of life.  And I'm used to it.

Thanks!  See you later!    

       

7 comments:

  1. Cassandra, I know you don't remember, but what they told us with the first heel prick was that it was "inconclusive" or something like that and they wanted to do a second one. I think it was just to confirm the results of the first one. Your first heel prick was not negative (which would imply that you could have slipped by without being diagnosed - that wasn't going to happen). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your parents did do an amazing job, and I love that you recognize that. :) PKU doesn't define you at all, it's just part of your life and you manage it so well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also very lucky to have such amazing parents if it wasnt for them I wouldnt be the person i am today! A qualified primary teacher, wife to be and hopefully soon a mother to be (that bit still scares me but i will overcome this hurdle as i have done so with everything else in my life)PKU doesnt define you It makes you!!! x

      Delete
  4. way to go! so similar to my own story! good for you and you are in an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so proud of you sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 3 week old daughter who also has PKU & our goals are for her to be strong and confident with herself just like you! Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete