Saturday, December 22, 2012

Smart Studying Snacks

Finals week was the 3rd-7th.  It went well.  :)  This past week I've been enjoying being back with my family. 

The Friday before Dead Week (26th-30th) I went grocery shopping for a bunch of easy things to make and snack on, because I knew I wouldn't have time/ want to cook.  It was a really smart idea, and made my life SO much easier.   

So here are a couple of the snacks that I enjoyed the most:
  1. Raw Veggies w/ Ranch- Basically all you have to do is grab and wash the veggies and pour the dip.  I found this veggie bag that all sorts of veggies in it at my Smiths.  It was so nice just to eat that for lunch while studying.  Remember to get lots of color for lots of different nutrients!  Since I got mine in a bag it was already assorted.  Some raw veggies I enjoy are: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, and celery.
  2. Smoothies- Grid up some fruit with coconut /or/ rice milk, then add your medicine.  While this did take some preparation it allowed me to have my medicine AND food at the same time.  Truthfully the longest part is cleaning the blender once your done.
  3. Oranges-  Since its wintertime I'm talking specifically Cutie Clementines.  But oranges in general are tasty. :)  And the Vitamin C helps you to stay healthy.  I had a LOT of Vitamin C packed foods over Dead & Finals Week.  I WAS NOT ABOUT TO BE SICK FOR FINALS!  Plus the Citric Smell  is supposed to supposed to "freshen your mind".
  4. Fruit Bars-  AKA Fruity Popsicles.  Popsicles are pretty low as a general rule.  (Excluding Creamies)  And when you want a snack that isn't high on PHE, Popsicles could be your answer.  Unless you decide to make some yourself there's no preparation needed.  
  5. Frozen Fruit- This snack is my new BEST FRIEND!  I have discovered frozen fruit before but the past could weeks I re-discovered it.  ESPECIALLY frozen grapes.  I had this bag of frozen fruit with frozen grapes included... by the end I found that I was searching the bag for the grapes.  Frozen fruit is sweet, yet healthy.  It satisfies my huge sweet tooth while satisfying the part of me that panics about getting the freshman fifteen.  New favorite snack! :)  
Some foods that just weren't my go-to foods included: French Fries, PKU sandwiches, PKU quesadillas, roasted veggies... I really can't tell you why.  It just didn't happen.

One last thing... it's really important to be right on with your diet during big tests.  It's always important to be on your diet, but if your not on-diet during a test you aren't thinking your best.  You don't perform the best you could.

Okay enough soapbox.  What are your favorite Low-PHE snacks (Whether you have PKU or not)?  If you don't know what *qualifies* some of my other posts might be able to help, especially the first one.

Oh and happy December 22nd. :)  Merry Christmas!  Happy New Year!                

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy but COLD! I love fresh & frozen fruits & veggies during the warmer months, but I need to figure out a healthier alternative during the winter, because I just want warm comfort food! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete