Sunday, September 23, 2012

College HO!

College is even busier than I thought. 

Yes that's right, this blogger is officially a college student. 

It's crazy here.  And living on diet is both harder and easier than it was at home.

Easier Because:
  1. I'm doing my own shopping and I can plan what I buy according to what I eat.  
  2. I have a bigger selection since everything I buy is PKU-proof.  
  3. I find Powermilk an easy snack that gives me energy so I drink it more.
Harder Because:
  1. I have to find the time to cook a meal and eat it!
  2. I have to find time to make the 1/2 bus ride to the nearest grocery store.
  3. This is the biggest one...  It seems everywhere I go they try to feed us.  At every event their serving some type of refreshment (especially ice cream) and more often than not I can't have it.  
I can't plan a snack for EVERY social event.  I just don't have that much money, time, or food for that!  But sometimes (especially with ice cream) it's tempting.  I hate to admit it but it's tempting.  I'm on my own and my parents won't know (unless I post it on my blog like I'm doing right now...)  Luckily I haven't given in. (So you can be assured mom)  And I won't give in.

College is harder and easier than I thought it would be.  I'm living on campus with a kitchen right now.  So I have a place to cook meals.  Some on-campus places don't have kitchens.  They have cafeterias that serve your food.  Once in a while that would be nice... when I don't feel like cooking or I'm too busy to make a lunch.  But the selection for PKU'ers in the Cafeteria is small.  I'd have to have the same things day after day, and that would get annoying fast.

I've heard of people talking to the managers and getting them to store and cook PKU foods for them.  I would just rather have a kitchen.  It seems like less of a hassle.  But it's another idea for those looking for some ideas.

College.  It's crazy.  I still can't believe I'm here.  :)     


5 comments:

  1. Yes, your parents did read this. lol. We're watching ... always watching.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and your example. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong! I know for a fact lots of people struggle with food (shopping, cooking, being tempted by tasty treats that aren't good for them) when they move out. It's not just a PKU thing. It seems in college there are way more opportunities to eat those things. I had a super hard time adjusting. It's just even more important for you, right? Good job on sticking to it even though I'm sure it is hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, people trying to feed ;) My colleagues are similar, they bring a lot of food (not suitable for diet) and sometimes it's hard cause you know they want to pamper and you somehow have to explain that you cannot eat it (AGAIN).


    For events, what do you do when you haven't prepare something? Do you eat before and can you resist then?

    Love,
    Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am caught unprepared I usually either try to find something that I an have or do without. It's harder than when I do prepare and have a substitute, or when I have eaten before. Because yes sometimes I eat before. It's easier than going without but harder than having a substitute. Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete