Monday, May 2, 2011

Camp for All and All for Camp!

Sorry about the procrastination of this post. I was studying my brains out for my AP Psychology test which I took today. Changed the layout again, you may stop reading this for 10 seconds to admire it. ;) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Back to reading!

So as the weather is FINALLY (cross your fingers, knock on wood) turning warm my thoughts head back to the idea... hope... dream of a Camp for PKU'ers in Utah. There are several camps all over the US that host kids with PKU for a week full of fun, friends (with PKU), and food that they can eat. Every other year I myself head to Camp PHEver in Texas (Plane tickets are costly.) But it's a load of fun. My personal favorite things:
  1. The food- At Camp PHEver they have chefs volunteer to cook our food. It always turns out amazing! They cook foods I didn't even know had a PKU version!!!
  2. Friends- I have plenty of friends here in Utah. But PKU friends in Utah?? I have one or two I haven't seen for years. When I go to camp I make SO many friends! All my age! It's amazing! Sometimes though it seems as if EVERYONE with PKU moved to Texas though, because that's where the bulk of them live.
  3. Fun- At Camp For All (where Camp PHEver is hosted) they go all out. High ropes course, horseback riding, dances, cook offs, the works. It's so much fun to go to an actual camp, and do what other kids do at summer camp without having to worry constantly about food.
Now I love Camp PHEver but... I have a dream that someday Utah will have it's own "Camp PHEver" with a different name of course. But the idea being the same: make friends, learn about your diet, have a load of fun. Having a Camp in Utah would benefit the several states that come to our clinic as well as other Western States! (Now I'm sounding like a persuasive essay.) Think of it: a nice cabin campsite in the sunshine next to real mountains. Utah is an IDEAL spot for a camp. Roasting Marshmallows, playing games, having cook offs... sounds like a perfect camping trip to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment