Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Return of the PKU'er

I'm back!!!!!

AND I'm still alive.  AND I came up with some really good blog post ideas.  So get ready!



For the past 5 weeks I've been doing my practicum.  Which means, I've been basically a teacher's aide 3 days a week in a classroom.  But I loved it.!!!  And I miss the kiddos in my class a lot!

Anyways, as a teacher you still have to pay for school lunches.  And it's generally what the kids are eating.  But there is an added salad bar for teachers.  So technically I could've had school lunch.  I didn't want to pay for school lunches.  I've always brought food from home, so the concept is just odd to me.  Plus, it's more expensive.  So, I never did school lunch.

I brought home lunches everyday.  In fact, most of the teachers did.  My first day I had an apple, a package of fruit snacks, pretzels, and a cup of applesauce.  I pulled out my sack lunch from the fridge (literally in a plastic Smiths bag) and looked around.

Every other teacher had these elaborate lunches, whether they were leftovers, or salads, or microwave meals.  And I had brought- essentially- a kids lunch.  The kind I had brought to school from kindergarten until 12th grade.

That's when I decided I needed to put a little more effort into my lunches.  From then on, I'd cook enough dinner to have leftovers for the next day's lunch.  Or I'd throw together a salad before I went to bed. 

It was actually really nice.  I enjoyed being creative and having good solid lunches.  It wasn't even hard.  Lunch was just so much more enjoyable as a meal. 

I guess you could say one of the things I learned at practicum, is that when you actually put effort into food... you enjoy it more. 

Another thing I learned, is that eating in the teacher's lounge NEVER gets old.  :) 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment