Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thank You.

The other day I was talking to a bunch of my friends, and I'm not sure how it came up, but we were talking about my diet.  They were going off about how limited it was, and how sorry they were, and how someday in heaven they were going to force me to eat all sorts of foods.

It was fine.  I've had lots of conversations that mimic this one almost word for word.  I just play along, no harm done.

In fact, I didn't think anything about it.  Until...

One of my friends came up to me a few days later and said, "So I was researching your diet the other day..."

This particular friend hadn't really dealt with my diet that much.  So when he said that, I was kind of shocked.  I mean, who in their right mind would go and research a complicated metabolic disorder?  (Oh right... that's you guys.  Haha.)

No one (that's not related to me) has ever gone out of their way to research my diet.

I was touched.  Really.

A conversation ensued that was quite intelligent.  He had researched more of the technical, genetic, chemistry stuff.  So we talked about that.

It's been on my mind ever since.

He's not an expert at my diet (but then again neither am I), but he actually tried.  He was interested in it, and went out to look for stuff.

I didn't even know he was doing it.

I like talking about my diet, and informing the world that PKU exists.  I really do.  But it's something special when someone actually goes out of their way to learn something that complicated.  (Now it helps that he actually likes chemistry so it was fun for him...)

But... it meant a lot to me.

I just wanted to thank you, my friend.  You know who you are. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment