Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Scale Evolution

I think we can all agree that Technology has really changed in the last decade.  New and improved versions of whatever device come out yearly (if not more often). 

This includes the geekiest of equipment.  Calculators?  So complicated now.  Don't believe me?  Try operating a graphing calculator. (Sooooo many buttons.)

But this also applies to scales.  Scales?  Why would we be talking about scales?

Well, one of the things a PKU'er needs to do is weigh all their food (weighing food is especially important when it comes to medicine and during certain times of their lives)

... With a scale. 

Over my lifetime I've owned 3 different scales.  And it's funny because you can clearly see the technology development in each one.  Here's what I mean:

Scale 1: The Triple-Beam Balance Scale. 
      This is the scale I've had the majority of my life.  The concept is pretty simple, I'm sure you've all used one (think High School Chemistry).  It's pretty clunky, and is hard to pack.  But, the lack of batteries mean you never have to have a panic attack rush to the store, because you're out of batteries and don't have any of the same type in the house.

  Scale 2: The Digital Scale
     If the last scale's concept was easy, this one is even easier.  You just place the food on it, and it weighs.  This picture isn't the exact scale I used, mine had a few more buttons.  But it's close.  Easy to pack.  But the batteries didn't last long at all.  This one I used for a few years. 






Scale 3: The Sleek Scale
     The latest and greatest of the scales!  It looks so sleek and sophisticated compared to the other two. The batteries don't die quickly (at least not so far).  Of course it is run on those fancy circle batteries that are pretty expensive for something so small (I forget what they're called...).  And it's easy to pack in shape, but the scale is SO easy to turn on that if you don't want to waste batteries you have to be careful packing it. 



Just looking at the pictures you can see the influence technology has had on the scale design.  And that, I present to you ladies and gentlemen is the EVOLUTION OF SCALES. 

1 comment: