Sunday, June 30, 2013

Living Examples

     In the past year I have met 3 different people who were all put on diets recently.  The diets were restrictive.  No dairy, no eggs, no grains... basically carbs and veggies. 

Does that sound familiar?  It should ;)  I've been talking about a diet like that for a couple years now.  Haha.  The diet they are on is NOT PKU (there are some differences)  but it is strikingly similar.

In fact, those 3 people have asked me "how I do it".  How do I find things to eat?  How have I followed my diet after all this time? 

     Here is my answer: (note: these individuals were put on their diets after years of no restrictions, which is always harder than following right after birth like I did.)  I just do it week by week, day by day.  I'm not perfect at it (who is?)  But I try.  There are lots of things you can eat.  You just have to look for them, and find things that you like.  True you have to cook a little more than the average person... but honestly home-cooked food TASTES better.  You just need to look,and experiment, and find things you like.  People tend to fall into eating grooves.  Just find your groove.  You'll be okay.

     Just by following their diets PKU'ers are great examples to people put on medical diets.  As I've talked to those three people and given them ideas, I feel like I've helped.  People can look at me as an example. of someone who is doing alright on a diet.  Then maybe they can feel more confident about their own lives. 

     I just want to ask PKU'ers one thing: PLEASE don't be shy about your PKU.  You could help so many people, and not even realize it at the time.  You could be an example that they look up to.  It's just one thing that's helping me stay on my diet, and helping me continue this blog.  So that I can help people.  Which as I grow is something that has become important to me. 

     So today blog post in 10 seconds:  PKU'ers be an example to other people on medical diets.  People on medical diets?  You'll be okay.  Just live it day by day.  :)

Okay, well see you soon.  Thanks for reading this. 


1 comment:

  1. Love this. It is always a blessing to be able to help others because of what you have experienced. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete