Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mozzarella Cheese... LOW PRO STYLE!!!

My family makes its own cheese.

That sentence makes me feel really self-sufficient.  Though if I were to be totally honest it's PKU cheese, and it's my mom who mainly makes it.  Haha. 

But now I have the recipe.  So I can make it when I move back to college in the Fall.  And soon you will have it too.  So you can try it too!

Enough chat, here's the recipe:  (it's very very good!)

Fresh Vegan Mozzarella Pizza

Ingredients:
  • 1 can good-quality coconut milk
  • 1 tsp coconut vinegar
  • 2/3 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp agar powder
  • 1 TB tapioca flour
 Instructions:
  1. Place the coconut milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Whisk until well-emulsified (aka liquified evenly )
  3. Add in the vinegar, salt, and agar
  4. Whisk frequently for about 15 minutes or until a small boil occurs
  5. Reduce the heat immediately 
  6. Mix the tapioca flour  
  7. Heat for 5-10 minutes more
  8. Transfer to a flat bottomed glass prex dish to slightly gel for about an hour (we actually used silicon bread pans for this, and it worked)
 Then you are done!  You've made your own PKU CHEESE!!!  Don't you feel accomplished?  ;)  

Anyways credits for this recipe goes to www.olivesfordinner.com for their fabulous recipe, that my mom found one day.  They have some pretty good stuff if you want to check it out.  

Thanks!  And I'll see you soon! 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment