Tuesday, October 30, 2012

An Extraordinary Find!

My college buddies and I cook a lot.  We do.  And it's fun.

Well, last night we made this treat from a recipe one of my friends got off of Pinterest.

It was really really good.

It was really really easy to make.

and the best part???

It was PKU FRIENDLY!!!

I LOVE finding new PKU friendly recipes!  It really makes my day.  :)

So without much further ado... I pass it on to you: 

  Strawberry Ice Cream

1 banana, sliced and frozen
1 handful of strawberries, frozen
1-2 TBSP Coconut milk
1 TSP Vanilla extract

Place the frozen bananas and strawberries into a food processor.  Start blending then add in the vanilla and coconut milk.  Just enough for it to blend together but not too much, it's supposed to be really thick.  Once it is smooth but still thick scoop it out and you have ice cream!  It doesn't store well in the freezer, and it makes 2-3 servings.

To be honest, we followed the instructions loosely and were fine.  You could make it any flavor, by tossing in that fruit.  We made Peach and strawberry.  :)  You know how much I love ice cream.  I even dedicated a post to my love of it back sometime last year. (it's called Favorite Dessert... or something like that.)  Here's our batch.

How did we do the layers?  Well let me tell you, it was SOOO difficult.  We made one, divided it (we only have 1 blender), then made the other and divided it.  It just naturally layered like that.  Theoretically you could make a whole rainbow, as long as you had a fruit for each color of the rainbow.

Now I can see it in your eye, you want some.  You have the recipe now go and make it for yourself!  Have fun with it!  

P.S.  When you change the flavor by adding different fruits keep the banana.  It works as the base for the ice cream.  :)

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm going to freeze some bananas and make this. I've tried it with just bananas and it wasn't great, I like the idea of adding coconut milk & other fruit. TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow.... :) Thanks for sharing <3

    Love,
    Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete