Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Time to Eat

You know your life is crazy when you don't have time to eat. You're too busy but you know it's important to eat because if you don't you won't have enough energy to finish all you need to do. But there still isn't time. And when there is time you're too tired to make anything. That's how it is for me right now. It's crazy on it's own. But when you have PKU? That makes it even more important to eat.

It's not just that we have to not eat high in protein foods. We have to eat the right AMOUNT of phenylalanine. Too little is as bad as too much.

When you have PKU you have to make SURE you eat all your PHE (phenylalanine) for the day. At my house that's what saltine crackers are for. One saltine cracker is roughly 1 equivalent. So I figure out how much PHE I've had today and how much I need to be in my goal. Then I have that many crackers.

Let me tell you now, lately those crackers have been a lifesaver. Because I really am busy. Too busy to eat, too tired to cook. I survive on crackers and formula. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Cassandra! That senior year is a killer, isn't it? Hang in there! I wish I was there to cook you some yummy roasted veggies or something!!!

    xoxo
    your favorite aunt

    (ok, your favorite aunt in Oregon??)

    ReplyDelete