Monday, October 31, 2011

PKU Pumpkin Cookies- recipe

My family loves cookies. Sunday nights it's common to find someone in the kitchen baking a fresh batch of cookies. (Especially after a cookie fundraiser.) As a PKU'er cookies are rather high and so my sister usually only have 1 or 2 a day; but it's REALLY tempting to take another. So naturally I want to find some simple PKU cookie recipes that I can freeze and make some Sunday evening.

Today I made Pumpkin Cookies (in honor of Halloween) with my friends and I wondered: Is there a recipe for PKU Pumpkin Cookies??? So I did what any other semi-tech savvy teen in America does... I googled it. :) Here is the best recipe I could find. I'm going to have try it and take pictures.

Pumpkin Cookie Recipe

1 C brown sugar

1 C white sugar

3/4 C butter or margerine

15 oz. can pumpkin

2 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1 t cinnamon

1/2 t nutmeg

1/2 t ginger

1/2 t salt

3 1/2 to 4 C of Wel-plan baking mix

Frosting:

1/2 C butter or margerine

1 C brown sugar

4 T Rich's Coffee Creamer or Mocha mix (or other liquid creamer - adjust phe as needed)

3 C powdered sugar

Cookies:

Sift dry ingredients. Cream sugar and butter. Alternate dry ingredients with creamed mixture and pumpkin. Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheets. (Dough may appear soft, but cookies form and rise nicely). Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Frosting:

Melt butter and brown sugar, bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Add non-dairy creamer and return to a boil. Cool. With beater, add sugar gradually. Final consitency should be spreadable. Frosting can be colored or Halloween decorations added.

Cookies per recipe - 70; Phe per cookie - 5 mg

Recipe from Ahn H, mother of Stephanie and Samantha, from MN PKU Foundation 2000 calendar.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment