Monday, October 6, 2014

Signs

Every PKU'er knows how important it is to stay on diet.  If you don't you could end up really hurting your brain (aka mental retardation).

Nobody wants that.

When I was little I used to think that if I went over one day, the next I would be mentally retarded.  But it's not like that.

It's a gradual process.  And that's what makes it hard.  The fact that you don't see anything "horrible" happen immediately after having a high day.  And for a moment you think, "this is all a huge conspiracy.  PKU doesn't even exist."

But here's the thing... If you pay attention there are small signs telling you when you've had too much Phe that day.  And warning you what can happen.

There is variation.  Everyone is different.  I'm just going off my own symptoms.

For me, I know I've had too much Phe when I get a headache.  It's hard to focus on anything.  I'm overly moody.  My forehead feels like it's overheating.  And eventually (if I ignore it, which I seldom do) I vomit.

Yeah... not that pleasant.

And yet, important.  Because if we didn't have these signs, we'd just keep consuming phe.  And then one day, we'd go over the tipping point.  I don't need to tell you what happens then.

But, knowing when you've had enough phe is important.  That way you can stay far away from the danger zone, and live the healthy life you can live while on diet.


No comments:

Post a Comment