Thursday, November 7, 2013

Must be November...

How lucky are we? 

We all have so many blessings. 

When my Grandma was in nursing school, it said in her textbooks that PKU'ers got permanent brain damage early in life.  There was nothing anyone could do.

Now... PKU'ers can life a perfectly happy life while on a diet.

Maybe in the future there will be one little pill you have to take once a day, that makes it so PKU'ers don't have to be on diet.

But for now.  We're blessed.

The PKU Community is exactly that.  A community.  There are activities, and summer camps.  There are seminars and once a year there's a National PKU Meeting.

We can buy Low-protein foods online.  And not from just one company!  There are a lot of companies out there that cater to PKU'ers:
  •  Cambrooke
  • Dietspec
  • Ener-g
  • Med-diet
  • Medical Food
  • My Special Diet
  • Maddy's
  • Pku Perspectives
  • Taste Connections

There's probably more out there. 

But that just covers the food.  There are a lot of PKU Formula companies as well (some of them serve both PKU food and formula).  If you don't like the taste of your formula... there are so many other options out there.  And they just keep getting better and healthier for you all the time.

I love trying out the new formulas.  Who knows if it'll taste better than the one I have right now?  (I seriously doubt it, because I really like my formula but...)

I digress.  Point is:  PKU'ers are blessed.  We have it a lot easier than those who came before us.  We have so much to be thankful for!  So this Thanksgiving, don't forget to add PKU onto the list of things you're grateful for.

P.S.  I'm also grateful for you!  Because most likely, if you're reading this then you have been following my blog for a while.  And have listened to what I have to say.  So thank you. :) 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment