Thursday, September 26, 2013

Restaurant Review 4: How Hot Is Too Hot?

What I know about Mongolia:
1. Genghis Kahn created the empire, which became the country.
2.  They have good food. 

How do I know this?  Well the first one is thanks to Wikipedia and google.  :)  The second one I experienced firsthand when I was taken to HuHot Mongolian Grill

Okay, so you walk in.  It's this nice place with a nice atmosphere... good music playing.  But the most impressive thing that catches your eye is the round grill.  You can't wait to see it up close.  But before you wander up to it; a host comes up and seats you. 

That was my first impression. 

Once seated, Drinks and appetizers are ordered.  (By the way, they have the cool drink machine that can get you several unique flavors of any soda.  I ordered a Peach Sprite!)  As far as PKU proof appetizers are concerned there's only one: Spring Rolls.  (Since its a buffet, I skipped the appetizers and moved on to the main course.) 

Which is the best part of the whole meal.    The server gives everyone a bowl and you head a build-your-own-Asian -food -bowl Station. 

First, the noodles.  They have 3 types including egg noodles.
Second, veggies.  Fill the bowl up!  They have all sorts of grill-able veggies. 
Third, ladle the sauce on.  Choose a sauce... or a variety of sauces!   I was told 5-6 ladles of sauce is enough.  Any less and it'll burn onto the grill.  Don't know what sauces are PKU proof?  They list ALL the ingredients RIGHT there on the signs!!! (Oh and they also list how hot each sauce is.)

Then comes a cool part.  You give your bowl to a griller.  He dumps it onto the grill.  It's way cool to watch him work!  And sometimes, to clean the grill he sets it on fire!  SO COOL!

Then you try it.  If you don't like it... you can tell the server and he'll take it away.  And you can try again! 

It's a lot of fun! As well as really tasty! 

I like it a lot! (As you can tell.) 

Only problem... it's pretty expensive.  Dinner is $13 each.  Lunch is $8.49 on weekdays, $10 on weekends.     

Well, I guess it IS a buffet. 

How does it rate on the PKU friendly scale? 
  • Well based on the many different options they give you as well as labeling the sauces...  I'd have to give them 8/10.  They could have more PKU friendly appetizers and desserts.  But they scored pretty good.  And I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone craving Asian food anytime.  :)
*Sorry about this post being late, and not as well-done as usual... I'm currently working on a big project.*   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment