Tuesday, October 8, 2013

PRISM301

YAY!  I post on Tuesday again!  (I'm almost done with that project.) 

Now before I get into my main topic today, first things first.  PLEASE ANSWER THE POLL THAT'S TO THE LEFT OF THE SCREEN (where the quotes of the week usually are)!  I want to write posts that interest you.  But in order to do so, I need to know what you guys are interested in. 

In fact, go do that right now.  I'll wait.

................................................................................................................ Done?

Good.  Moving on.

Do you remember a certain post about a medication that goes by the name of PEG PAL?  If not that's okay.    (here's the link if you want to take a look at it: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7281517512816906548#editor/target=post;postID=350263321752237644;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=31;src=postname

It basically talks about PEG PAL and what it is. 

Well, here's an update.  PEG PAL is in experimental human testing.  The study is actually being called the PRISM301 STUDY.  I actually got a flyer about it early August.  Apparently you qualify if you are:
  • 18-70 years old
  • Have a diagnosis of PKU with a high Phe level
  • Have not yet received PEG PAL
You need a high Phe level so that they can see if PEG PAL works on lowering it.

During the study you're supposed to stay on your PKU diet.  You meet with the study clinic several times. (I'm basing this information  off of their website.)  During the appointments you will participate in blood and urine tests. They'll teach you how to give yourself the injections, and you'll do so once a day, and you'll keep a diet record for three days before certain tests.  Then there's a weekly phone call update.

Sounds like a lot.  But it IS a study.  And imagine if it worked? 

I'm not doing it.  I  know how that sounds.  But here my reasoning:  I'm a poor college student with no car.  The travel reimbursements wouldn't cover my travel costs.  And I'd have to miss a lot of school.  So... maybe later.  Probably not.  It will probably be done with testing before I'm done with school.  But maybe...

Anyways, if you want learn more about the PRISM301 Study the website is: www.pkutrial.com

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment