Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sleeping Angels

Right now I'm babysitting. The house is quiet as the children are asleep. I've had difficult jobs before; this one was from hard. The kids were so good and everything went smoothly. I don't think I had a single problem! We played games and dressed up. They showed me their secret club and we had a mini dancing party. The most creative part was when I had them get on their movie star clothes (which turned out to be more like princess dresses and tiaras). I went downstairs and closed all the blinds, popped popcorn, and laid out a blanket for them to picnic on. We pretended they were famous movie stars attending the premiere of "Kung Fu Panda". Then it was bedtime. I don't think I've EVER had kids go to bed that easily ever before! I wonder... will it be this much fun when I'm a mom? I know there will be hard days. But will there be days just like this one? Full of fun and creativity, laughter and smiles? I know this blog is about PKU but I'm getting there I promise. Then there's the question. Will my kids have PKU? It is genetic after all. It really depends on my husband's DNA I guess. If he doesn't have PKU and isn't a carrier the stats say all my kids will be carriers but none will have PKU themselves. If he IS a carrier then they say there's a 50% chance they'll have PKU, & a 50% chance they'll just be carriers. If he has PKU then... let's just say it'll be hard to get insurance to help us pay the medical bills. If they have PKU what trials will they go through. Will kids make fun of them? (I never was made fun of but who knows what may happen?) Will they feel left out? Or will they realize how special they are and how PKU is a lifestyle that makes them unique. Will they stay on their diet? What will tempt them to stray? I want to have a family someday. I have so many great ideas I've thought of and collected over the years. Things to do, how to teach them certain things, and things like that. I imagine having little kids who won't finish their food will be a temptation to me. Maybe I should include a dog in my daydreams (?) to eat the scraps. Anyways... kids. In a dark, silent house when you peek in their rooms. Their faces display peace, innocence, and they look like angels. That is until they're awake... when the real fun begins. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Cassandra, you will be such a great mother! It really is the best job in the world, and sometimes the hardest, too! I miss you!!! You are the best babysitter. Will you come babysit for us??? :):)

    ReplyDelete