Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A VERY serious issue... sort of.

I know.  I know.  Unexpected hiatus.  Sorry.  I went on Christmas Break and... yeah.  It was a very relaxing break.

Now this upcoming subject may seem silly to you, but to some PKU'ers it's a real concern!   ;)

The awful, horrible, stinky  

Milk Breath!!!!!!!

Right about now all you non-PKU'ers are wondering: "what's milk breath?"
And all the PKU'ers are nodding thinking, "Finally she gets to an issue I care about."

Well, Milk Breath is a phenomenon that occurs after a PKU'er drinks some of their formula.  You see the formula- though is nutritious and (hopefully) delicious- leaves an odor on one's breath.  PKU'ers are very self-cautious of this fact.  They may avoid talking or even smiling when they have milk breath, which causes their friends to think that they don't like them anymore.      

 But what can one do?  After all, sugar free gum has aspartame (which we can't have) in it.  And chewing sugar filled gum all the time is horrible for your teeth.  

Here are some suggestions that I have thought of (and in some cases even tried):
  1. Altoids.  Strong and tasty.  These mints will cover up the smell, and they come in several different flavors.  Plus, people won't loom at you funny for having a package in your purse/pocket.
  2. Tic Taks.  Do you remember when Tic Taks were like the coolest things?  Well, they're right next to the gum in the checkout line.  Lots and lots of different flavors.  Although, they aren't as strong as Altoids they are just as tasty.
  3. Earth Gum.  It's gum!  Made out of trees.  Just look on the back before buying.  I've tried one brand sold on a PKU website.  But there are other brands and I'm not sure if they're PKU-proof.  Doesn't last long, but then again.  You only need it long enough to cover up your breath.
  4. The little "On the go" toothbrushes.  As long as you don't mind either: swallowing the toothpaste or running off the bathroom it's actually a really good idea.  Not as cheap as some of the other options... but your dentist will love you.
I can see some of the non-PKU'ers don't understand.  They are wondering why on earth we can't just brush our teeth 2x a day like a regular person and be fine.

Let's suppose I was a college student.  With an ever-changing busy schedule.  I need my formula during the day.  So, I bring it with me and drink it throughout the day.  Now, I have Milk Breath.  Which makes me feel self-conscious.  

Since it's the middle of the day I don't have time to run off and brush my teeth.  But if I had a pack of Altoids in my backpack... I just slip one into my mouth and be done with it.  TAA-DAA!!!!

And there are my suggestions for Milk Breath.  You're welcome.

(And I hope you didn't laugh once.  This is a very serious matter indeed.  ;)     
 

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you, reminds me of when drank Herbalife meal replacement drinks. Caused way bad breath.

    I have a solution. You should try the peppermint and/or OnGuard beadlets by doTERRA. Your mom has an account and she can get them for you at wholesale. They really work well to freshen the breath, kill germs and no sugar, no protein. perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever heard of or tried Binaca. It's the best thing for "milk breath"! http://www.binaca.com

    ReplyDelete