Sunday, September 25, 2011

School Lunches

Some schools have vegetarian choices. My school has a salad, but it's the longest line in the school. So it's not worth it. My past schools haven't even had this choice. I could fight for more choices. But after the school "agree" to do it in my experience... they don't. I once fought for microwave rights in elementary school. It was a waste of time because they didn't let me anyway. They were just avoiding a big scene. So I bring home lunches. It's healthier and cheaper anyways. Plus you don't have to wait in a long line for it. It can be fun too if you get creative. I rarely have time to be creative but it's fun when I am.

Good things to put in a PKU'ers lunch: fruit (apples, pears, grapes, fruit cups...) and vegetables (carrots, salad, celery, raw broccoli...). You can make bread for sandwiches, put vegetable soup in a thermos, pack a couple cookies. You could add a container of ranch to dip your veggies in. For a while I would pack these "fruit chillers" in my lunch with an ice pack (basically it's sorbet). Fruit leathers and fruit snacks are excellent!

Tip: Frozen grapes turn into goop when in your lunch. They taste excellent at home but not on the go.

My lunch on the go is usually an apple, fruit snacks, fruit cup/lemon pudding, and it depends what else in the house at the time. But it has filled my throughout my school life so it works for me.

It's nice to have a dependable menu. Just in case I don't have time to think about what to pack. But sometimes change is good. Get creative! Add a sauce, pack a thermos. smoothies are fun! Just because you bring home lunch doesn't mean you have to bring dull things. You can pack lunches that will make school lunch kids drool! I have (that would be the smoothies). Try something new! :) And have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment